Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stone Cairns~Markers For Life




I have always been drawn to stone Cairns. For those of you that are not familiar with cairns, they are rocks that have been placed into formations or piles that are balanced. These cairns are used as markers along a path, road, mountain trail, summits, burial sites and various other places.

When I see a cairn it makes me wonder about the person or people who placed the stones. Why they were moved to build the cairn or add to an existing one. I wonder what their life was like at the moment they placed the stone.

Personally, I view cairns as "life markers". When I build one I let each stone be a memorial to where I have been or where I am headed. Each stone is placed with an affirmation attached to it. I will either silently say the affirmation or say it out lout as I place the stone.

The pictures I have added are some beautiful examples of cairns from different locations.

If you find yourself with some extra time while you are out and about, enjoying nature, sitting on a beach, walking a trail or even broken down on the side of the road...build a cairn and say your affirmations as you place each stone...it might surprise you how meaningful the cairn will be when you are done!

No comments: