Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Is There Really A Silver Lining?

I am a firm believer in the "silver lining" statement.

Most people go through difficult times, heck, everyone does. It varies in degrees from person to person, but we all have our crosses to bear. It's part of life.

I have learned that in every difficult time of my life there has been a silver lining. Without exception. No matter what the problem has been, big or small...there has always been a reward of some form as a result of whatever I went through.

No matter how painful or heartbreaking, I can look back on every situation and find a silver lining some where in that experience.

I'll give you two examples, one small and one rather enormous :)

1. I'll make a long story as short as possible. I was pretty ill and ended up bedridden for a month. It was the middle of the summer, my favorite time of the year. Everyone else was out boating, gardening, going on vacation, going to the lake or river, camping...just doing all the fun things that we all look forward to when Summer arrives. There I was, stuck in bed! I could have spent that time being miserable and feeling sorry for myself, but my "silver lining" was this, every day from 4:30AM until about 9:00PM I had the most spectacular form of entertainment...and it was FREE! I had a hummingbird feeder hung outside my bedroom window and those little birds gave me non-stop entertainment and joy throughout the day!

I look forward to those wonderful little birds return each spring and will do so as long as I live.

2. This example was a pretty big "silver lining". About 30 years ago I was in a very bad car crash. It was 12 days after my wedding day and I was thrown thru the windshield of the truck I was riding in. I was not wearing a seatbelt because I was riding in the center of the bench seat and there was no seatbelt available. When I saw that the truck was going to roll from end to end, I felt myself rise off the seat...I only had time to cover my face with my hands before I hit the glass....the next thing I remember was waking up in a wheat field, unable to move my legs.

The sun was beating down on me, I could barely breathe and my newlywed husband was looking frantically for me under the truck that was now a ball of mangled metal.

The silver lining in this event goes on for pages...I was lucky to be thrown from the truck because where I was sitting, the roof of the cab was crushed to the seat.

I was lucky to have been thrown from the truck because I ended up yards away from where the truck came to rest...it rolled four times and I was fortunate to have landed far enough away that I wasn't crushed under it!

The best silver lining in that event is that I lived and am now a mother of four kids and one grandchild...I have a great life and appreciate every breath I take!

You might have to look real hard to find the silver lining sometimes, but I promise you, it's there...look for it :)

1 comment:

LITeacher said...

You are right about that silver lining! We have been going through some difficult times with our son. He has struggled through school since kindergarten. He goes only for the social aspect. He had most of his trouble in Middle School- fights, suspension, detension, all those wonderful things. I begged the school for years- for help for him. I got no help- basically they just thought it was my fault and layed it all back on me. I thought maybe school was too hard for him- so I got him tutored ($$$$$- waisted). Now he is in high school. He promised no more trouble. Well, another fight occurred. My heart sank. Only in school 3 weeks and he's suspended again! Here comes the silver lining- he is now back in school and will be enrolled in a new class run by a social worker. This new class is for anger management, time management and all the other issues one could have in dealing with school!!!! Yea finally something that will help!!

I like your blog! It kind of like mine! I write a gratitude journal and I've been studying the law of attraction for several months. It really has helped quite a bit. I would love it if you would stop by. http://healourlives.blogspot.com
I feel like we might have some things in common!
Maureen ")